A wood phonograph built by the Sonora Phonograph Co., Inc. of New York City. The company's predecessor was the Sonora Chime Company which started making two-movement chime clocks around 1900. The Sonora Chime Company was reincorporated in February of 1913 as the Sonora Phonograph Company by its founder, George Brightson. Sonora was a large phonograph manufacturer who used the 'bulge-line' cabinet that was patented in 1911. At the 1915 Panama-Pacific International Exposition in San Francisco the Sonora phonograph was awarded a gold medal for its quality.